[GRASS-user] v.category chlayer issues

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 13:35:01 PDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 5:01 PM, Dave Roberts <droberts at montana.edu> wrote:
> I have a vector feature with four areas and two layers.   Each of the two
> layers is tied to a different sqlite table.  I'm trying to make what is
> currently layer 2 the default, and to delete the no longer needed layer 1.
> I tried
>
> v.category inp=new_ascii op=chlayer type=centroid layer=2,1 out=fixed
> WARNING: Database connection and attribute tables for concerned layers are
>          not changed
> Processing features...
>
> but it never stops processing and I have to kill it.

Thanks for reporting this bug. It has been fixed in all G7 branches
with r69469-71, please try.

> The vector feature
> new_ascii only has four areas, so it's not computationally intensive.
> new_ascii layer 1 and 2 are both tied to a sqlite table.
>
> I've looked at op=transfer, but haven't had luck with that yet either.

What exactly is the problem with op=transfer?

If you want to delete a layer, you need to use v.category op=del
cat=-1 layer=X. After that, you can safely move categories of another
layer to the now unused layer. If in doubt, check first with
v.category op=report.

HTH,

Markus M