[GRASS-user] GIS software popularity ranking: http://gisgeography.com/mapping-out-gis-software-landscape

Blumentrath, Stefan Stefan.Blumentrath at nina.no
Wed Sep 28 15:01:37 PDT 2016

Hei Rich,

Agreed that documenting and showcasing capabilities of GRASS is most convincing for possible new users.

And of course I would not comment on every blog out there that claims to "compare" or "review" different GIS.
Yet, http://gisgeography.com.w3snoop.com/ estimates that gisgeography.com has almost 22k individual visitors per day and > 7Mio per year. So I assume what is written there has some impact.

Maybe I just have to admit that I am a bit thin-skinned here to react on that kind of stuff... Yet, when you are not your own boss, but work in a (probably ESRI oriented) company, you would know that exactly this blind repetition of prejudices is what makes you struggle to build up a lively and well supported (in terms of all sorts of support your employer can offer) user group of Free and Open Source Software.
If you are not answering back in such settings, uninvolved or uninformed colleagues (esp. those in leading positions) will tend to believe they are really paying all the money for "quality" which thus gives a good return on investments.
Writing things like "clunky GUI", "cartographic nightmare"... can repel not only migrators, but also those starting with GIS from scratch...

Cheers
Stefan