[GRASS-user] GRASS Environment Variables

Andres Solarte e.andres.solartec at gmail.com
Tue Apr 4 16:12:53 PDT 2017

Hello Joseph,

This is the way I work with grass from python:

#!/usr/bin/env python
# -*- coding: utf-8 -*-

import os
import sys

#1. Define function

def conectar(location,mapset):
# path to the GRASS GIS launch script
grass7bin = '/usr/bin/grass72'

# Set GISDBASE environment variable
gisdb = "/media/andres/Andres/TesisGrass"
os.environ['GISDBASE'] = gisdb
# query GRASS 7 itself for its GISBASE
gisbase = "/usr/lib/grass72"
os.environ['GISBASE'] = gisbase

# define GRASS-Python environment
gpydir = "/usr/lib/grass72/etc/python"
sys.path.append(gpydir)
# import GRASS Python bindings
import grass.script.setup as gsetup

############ launch session
gsetup.init(gisbase, gisdb, location, mapset)

#2. Now you can connect with your projects

location = "your location"
mapset = "your mapset"

conectar(location,mapset)

#3. Call function (examples)

gscript.run_command('g.region', n=float(n), s=float(s), e=float(e),
w=float(w), ewres=float(res), nsres=float(res))

gscript.run_command("r.in.gdal", input="/home/..../image.tif",
flags='e',output = "image")