[GRASS-user] v.in.dxf to import 3d object in GRASS GIS 7

umbertofilippo at tiscali.it umbertofilippo at tiscali.it
Mon Jul 10 03:47:29 PDT 2017

Hi,

I am trying to import a 3d object in GRASS GIS 7.0.2 with function v.in.dxf
<https://grass.osgeo.org/grass72/manuals/v.in.dxf.html> .

Following the official "Help with 3D
<https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Help_with_3D> " GRASS wiki, I downloaded a
sample data from INRIA.fr's GAMMA project (actually, the link is broken, the
working one is https://www.rocq.inria.fr/gamma/download/).

The file is in .3ds format so I converted it in .dxf with 3D Studio as
suggested in the help page. The type of geometry is MESH, which shoukld be
supported (in the same v.in.dxf page it reads: "The following graphical
objects (DXF entities) are supported: faces: DXF POLYFACE MESHES, DXF
3DFACE").

When I import it in GRASS with the v.in.dxf, the only layer seems to be
imported. The layer is recognized and the output message reads "46
primitives, 75 nodes, 192 vertices, and so on.

However, if I display the layer I can only see strange lines (while it
should be a nasty bug!"). Moreover, if I switch to 3d view I can't see
anything at all.

I provide two links to my Google Drive, one for the .3ds I downloaded and
one for the .dxf I exported with 3D Studio, which is the file I am actually
importing into GRASS.

*	3ds: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B75-5YcpJ_xmRk1LdkdGZjltazQ
*	dxf: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B75-5YcpJ_xmbktQTUVPVXBTLTA

Thanks in advance for any help!