[GRASS-user] Recommended v.select relate matrix?

Stuart Edwards sedwards2 at cinci.rr.com
Sun Jul 23 06:14:35 PDT 2017

Hi -

Not a trivial problem -  Seems to me that there may be multiple steps depending on the precision required.

First, if a line starts and ends at the same place as the target line does that qualify? - it would appear to serve as a good initial screen.  If that's too rigorous, maybe add a tolerance of +/- 10 or 100m or whatever is appropriate for the expected precision.

If there are several lines that meet this first test perhaps calculating the distance between each of them and the target (node by node) and selecting the one that results in the minimum cumulative distance?

If the lines are not fully coincidental (i.e. don't start and end at roughly the same points), some segmentation would be required so that these tests could be applied.

BTW - If it wasn't for you I doubt I would have ever have become a GRASS user.  I used your CDs with the original pre-compiled Mac binaries for a long time in the early 2000s.  Thanks for that.  It's been a great ride!

Best

Stu