[GRASS-user] rgrass7: writeRAST fails with large rasters

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sat Jul 29 12:35:30 PDT 2017

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 4:34 PM, Scott Morford <smorford at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have a large raster (~2 GB) that I'm trying to export to grass from R
(3.4.1) using the rgrass7 (0.1-9) library:

>     writeRAST(
>         as(raster("dinf_slope.tif"),"SpatialGridDataFrame"),
>         "slope.r",
>         flags=c("overwrite")
>     )
>
> The operation fails and throws the following error:
>
>     Error in writeBin(z, con = f, size = sz) :
>
>     only 2^31-1 bytes can be written in a single writeBin() call

this error comes from the R function writeBin. Maybe it would be safer to
use writeGDAL within writeRAST.

> I get the same error if I attempt to export a SpatialGridDatatFrame
object directly, so I don't believe the problem is with the raster library.

> I receive the same error in Ubuntu and Windows 10.
>
> How can I use writeRAST to export large rasters to grass?

Don't use writeRAST, use writeGDAL instead and then import the output of
writeGDAL into GRASS.

Markus M