[GRASS-user] Slow import of GHSL

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Mar 22 13:28:44 PDT 2017

nik at nikosalexandris.net>
> > wrote:
> >>
> >> Nikos Alexandris

GeoTIFF
GRASS'

http://landcover.usgs.gov/glc/WaterDescriptionAndDownloads.php
> by USGS. 1.6GB in size.
>
> Using gdalbuildvrt I created a VRT from the 504 GeoTIFF files.
>
> After import into GRASS GIS, here the timings:
>
> # final map size:
> g.region -p
> rows:       493200
> cols:       1296001
> cells:      639187693200
>
> (handling only works in GRASS GIS 7.3.svn since Markus Metz's recent
> improvements on global data import are needed).

(my changes were bug fixes, not improvements)

> Benchmarks:
> - Import took 2h while reading the data from a CIFS mounted storage
> box (slow) and writing on SSD.
> - Displaying the entire map (639 giga-pixel) in GRASS GIS' display
> (d.mon) took ~15 sec over a ssh tunnel from my laptop to the server,
> since I am at a conference.
>
> Fair deal I would say :-)

A bit more information would help to compare:
 - what is your GDAL version?
 - are 504 GeoTIFF files compressed? If yes, which method?
 - what are the block dimensions of the input GeoTIFFs?
 - what kind of GRASS compression did you use?

Markus M