[GRASS-user] GRASS Location covering multiple UTM zones and SpatiaLite

Bulent Arikan bulent.arikan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 18:56:59 PDT 2017

Dear List,

I have two separate questions for Grass 7.0, which has been running on Mac OS 10.10.5 Yosemite:

1) My project encompasses three UTM zones (35-36-37 in northern hemisphere). About 80% of the area falls within UTM 36, 15% in UTM 37, and 5% in UTM 35. I know that in principle, each GRASS location should be defined to cover one UTM zone for accuracy. I will be doing a lot of terrain analyses, including hydrology. I simply cannot work in three separate zones/locations since this is one continuous piece of land. I can work in LatLong location but I am not sure if this will cause any problems in the accuracy of raster analyses. I will appreciate any suggestions.

2) For the same project, I have been thinking of using SpatiaLite rather than PostgreSQL or other DBF managers. I will have a lot of point data and some polygons. I could not find much about Grass GIS-SpatiaLite compatibility (except for a book in Italian). Is there a resource where I can get informed about using SpatiaLite in Grass? I understand that QGIS has SpatiaLite functionality but I noticed that I could not load my Grass data in QGIS (2.18.2 Las Palmas) because of a “path” issue. If possible, my priority would be to go with Grass-Spatialite combo.

Thank you for your time!

BÜLENT