[GRASS-user] v.voronoi error: Found 0 points/centroids, but atleast 2 are needed

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 06:52:04 PST 2017

On Sat, Nov 25, 2017 at 2:43 PM, 洪朝貴 <ckhung at cyut.edu.tw> wrote:

> Thank you Markus! It works now.
>
> Printing the current region could help.
> Re-wording the manual page may also help.
> "Unlike most other vector functions, setting the
> computation region is mandatory in order to deal with
> infinite regions in the Voronoi diagrams."
> Or something prominent like that.

The first line of the manual

"v.voronoi - Creates a Voronoi diagram in current region from an input
vector map containing points or centroids."

could be rephrased to

"v.voronoi - Creates a Voronoi diagram constrained to the extents of the
current region from an input vector map containing points or centroids."

> I read somewhere that vector operations are not
> affected by the region setting, and had success with
> v.distance and v.delaunay without ever setting it.
> The v.voronoi manual says
> "The  bounds  of  the  output map are limited by the current region."
> but I somehow ignored it as something to worry about later
> if and when I get some output :-)

It is something to worry about particularly when you get no output ;-)

We could change the error message

"Found 0 points/centroids in <tkec at work>, but at least 2 are needed"

to something like

"Found 0 points/centroids in <tkec at work>, but at least 2 are needed. Please
verify that the current region extents are covering at least parts of the
input map."

Markus M