[GRASS-user] Merge lines into common categories based an attribute information

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Sun Sep 17 06:16:02 PDT 2017

Hi,

how can I merge multiple lines into one category based on some attribute
information.
For example I have a line vector consisting of 10 lines and several lines
belong to three different groups (lines belonging to the same group share
the same value in a specific attribute column). Now I'd like to merge them
(assign a common cats) and create an new attribute with the "group value"
as new category (the table should then have 3 rows)? I think this should be
easily possible, but I could not yet find the correct tool.

Afterwards I'd like to use v.to.db to update the attribute table with some
info on the vector features. BTW, how is sinuosity (v.to.db) calculated if
several lines are grouped into one category?

Any suggestion is highly welcome! Thanks!

Best regards,
Johannes