[GRASS-user] Calculating cost to port - now with rail

Daniel Victoria daniel.victoria at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 02:50:06 PST 2018

Hi list,

A while ago I asked a similar question about calculating cost to port
considering a road network. I got this sorted out and results look nice.
But now I'd like to include some rail lines in the analysis.

The problem is that if I just add rail lines to my cell cost raster, the
rail lines will be treated as roads, that is, I could 'board a train'
anywhere along the rail line and not only at the stations.

I though about adding a buffer to the rail line with a very high cost (or
null value). But that would fail where roads crosses rail lines. Is it
possible to solve this using r.cost? Or do I need to use some other method,
like v.net?

Cheers
Daniel