[GRASS-user] Vector map point deleted but still displays

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Jul 11 09:22:19 PDT 2018

On Wed, 11 Jul 2018, Moritz Lennert wrote:

> You can have a vector map with features that have a cat value, but no
> corresponding entry in the attribute table, and you can have entries in
> the attribute table with no corresponding features in the map.

Moritz,

   Yesterday, initially, there were three featurs on the map and three rows
in the attribute table. I tried removing the feature, but without success.

> AFAIK, v.edit only modifies the map, not the attribute table. This is
> important as several features can potentially be linked to the same
> attributes. Just because you remove one of the features doesn't mean you
> necessarily want to remove the attributes. Maybe it might be a good idea to
> add an additional 'delete_with_attributes' tool to v.edit.

   I did delete the row in the attribute table. but v.edit refused to remove
the map feature. My experiences have been one feature/one attribute.
Regardless, adding a 'delete_with_attributes' option would be helpful.

> If you want to erase a point completely (i.e. both the feature and the
> corresponding entry in the attribute table), the easiest currently is
> probably to use v.extract with the '-r' flag. This has the disadvantage of
> creating a new map, but this might actually be an advantage as it allows to
>
> v.extract -r YourMap cat=YourFeaturesCat output=NewMap

   I'll remember this (by saving this message) if I need to remove a feature
in the future.

Best regards,

Rich