[GRASS-user] Start in text mode: define new location with proj.4 string

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Wed Jul 11 13:15:41 PDT 2018

On Wed, Jul 11, 2018 at 2:44 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jul 2018, Nikos Alexandris wrote:
>
>> The grass --help does not mention support for "Proj" strings. Only
>> geo(-referenced)file and EPSG.
>

> Nikos,
>
>   Yep. That's why I asked. So, on the infrequent occasions when source
data
> does not have a useful EPSG code but 'gdalinfo -proj4' provies the string
> using the -gtext grass startup option allows that string to be used to
> define a new location.

If 'gdalinfo -proj4' provides a reasonable string, you can just as well use

 - grass75 -c geofile GISDBASE/LOCATION_NAME/MAPSET
 - the location wizard using this georeferenced data file
 - from within GRASS 'g.proj georef= location='
 - from with GRASS r.in.gdal location=

to create a new location. The result will be the same.

Markus M