[GRASS-user] Global overview of GRASS HPC resources/installations ?

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Thu May 17 01:09:30 PDT 2018

Hi Massi,

[I imagine your mail was supposed to go onto the mailing list and not
just to me...]

On 15/05/18 14:35, Massi Alvioli wrote:
> Hi GRASS HPC users,
>
> we (Massimiliano Alvioli and Ivan Marchesini, at CNR IRPI
> http://www.irpi.cnr.it) spent a significant amonut of time using GRASS
> on local multi-core machines,
> remote machines running the PBS jobs scheduler and also HPC machines,
> mainly the former Galileo and Marconi clusters and at CINECA (Italy),
> running the
> SLURM job scheduler. We never published anything on the subject, but we
> will be happy to discuss with other interested people.

I just presented GRASS and a short overview over GRASS on HPC yesterday
at the FOSS4F-FR and there was a lot of interest for this. Several
people asked me about specific documentation on the subject.

Currently, I'm aware of the following wiki pages which each potentially
touches on some aspects of HPC:

https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Parallel_GRASS_jobs
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Working_with_GRASS_without_starting_it_explicitly
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_and_Shell
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GRASS_GIS_Performance
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Large_raster_data_processing
https://grasswiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Large_vector_data_processing

Then there are elements in some presentations:

https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/geo_grass/
https://archive.fosdem.org/2015/schedule/event/grass_7/

This does not make it easy for people to find a one-stop place for
guidance on how to work with GRASS in a cluster environment by
parallelizing jobs.

So, it would be great to create one "GRASS HPC" wiki page and collect
and structure all relevant info there.

Moritz