[GRASS-user] Vector points behaving strangely after using v.what.vect

Jamille Haarloo j.r.haarloo at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 12:59:22 PST 2018

Hello all,

I created a vector points map in Grass with information on ecosystem
characteristics based on various sources. This was to be used as input to
create a training-set of a vector segment map with statistics for
classification.
I tried to copy the cat- values of the segments to the points- map based on
location as intermediate step by using v.what.vect. But this was not
successful - Not all cat- values of the points vector map was updated,
about 70% was. I tried then to update another (empty) column with the
segment cat-values which also worked partially - it worked for most of the
remaining which is about 25% of the total records and for non of the 70%.
Now I notice that the records of the updated cat-values are behaving
strangely. I can see the points in the map display, but if I highlight them
in the table they are not highlighted in the map display. When I click to
zoom to highlighted feature, I end-up somewhere else where it shouldn't be.
Also when I try to extract, copy or export the data, there seems to be
disconnect between the attribute values and the location of the points.
This happens with the ones of which the cat-values was updated, about 70%
of the records. When simply displayed, without other operations, it looks
fine and complete.

Is there a way to repair this disconnect?

Best,
Jamille