[GRASS-user] v.colors usage

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Nov 7 10:06:01 PST 2018

On Wed, 7 Nov 2018, Markus Metz wrote:

> for sqlite, the database must be a path to a sqlite database, in your
> case, as you used yourself before:
> database="$HOME/data/grassdata/willamette_basin/mercury/sqlite/sqlite.db"

   Well, the situation here has become FUBAR and I need help fixing things.

   The geometry/database in grass has 8 maps, each with an associated
attribute table. The stations map is connected to the postgres table:

$ less data/grassdata/willamette_basin/mercury/vector/stations/dbln
1/stations|stations|cat|/home/rshepard/data/grassdata/willamette_basin/willamette-river-hg|pg

Other maps still have their tables in the sqlite.db; e.g.,
1/FishD_AllSpecies_January2012|all_species|cat|$GISDBASE/$LOCATION_NAME/$MAPSET/sqlite/sqlite.db|sqlite

so I tried to re-connect it to the postgres table using v.db.connect with
this result:

> v.db.connect map=all_species driver=pg database="$HOME/data/grassdata/willamette_basin/willamette-river-hg" table=all_species -o
DBMI-PostgreSQL driver error:
Connection failed.
FATAL:  database "/home/rshepard/data/grassdata/willamette_basin/willamette-river" does not exist
DBMI-PostgreSQL driver error:
Connection failed.
FATAL:  database "/home/rshepard/data/grassdata/willamette_basin/willamette-river" does not exist
WARNING: Unable to open database
          </home/rshepard/data/grassdata/willamette_basin/willamette-river-hg>
          by driver <pg>
WARNING: Unable open database
          </home/rshepard/data/grassdata/willamette_basin/willamette-river-hg>
          by driver <pg>
ERROR: Table <all_species> does not exist in database
        </home/rshepard/data/grassdata/willamette_basin/willamette-river-hg>

   Grass is connected to that database and I'm logged in:
> db.connect -p
driver: pg
database: /home/rshepard/data/grassdata/willamette_basin/willamette-river-hg

and, of course, the table 'all_species' exists there:

willamette-river-hg=# \d
              List of relations
  Schema |      Name      | Type  |  Owner
  public | all_species    | table | rshepard

   So, I've obviously missed a step or the proper syntax and have become
sufficiently confused by what's to be done when connected to each database
that I need to be shown the True Path to transferring the rest of the map
attribute tables to the ones db.cop(ied) to the postgres database.

TIA,

Rich