[GRASS-user] ascii decode special character

Frank David frank.david at geophom.fr
Thu Jan 3 00:28:05 PST 2019

Hi Markus,

> Hi Frank,
>

> Am Mi., 2. Jan. 2019, 16:56 hat Frank David <frank.david at geophom.fr
> <mailto:frank.david at geophom.fr>> geschrieben:
>
>     Hello all,
>
>     I wish a very nice year to every GRASS user and also for GRASS
>     developments !
>

> Happy New Year!
>
>     I met a decoding problem with "v.db.select map=my_vector
>     columns=my_name" when GRASS meet some special characters in the
>     string
>     of my_name field. The string value is "Côte de la Bouchère".
>
>     See below the error message :
>
>     Traceback (most recent call last):
>        File
>     "/usr/local/grass-7.5.svn/gui/wxpython/gui_core/goutput.py",
>     line 472, in OnCmdOutput
>
>     self.cmdOutput.AddStyledMessage(message, type)
>        File
>     "/usr/local/grass-7.5.svn/gui/wxpython/gui_core/goutput.py",
>     line 771, in AddStyledMessage
>
>     self.AddTextWrapped(message, wrap=None)
>        File
>     "/usr/local/grass-7.5.svn/gui/wxpython/gui_core/goutput.py",
>     line 722, in AddTextWrapped
>
>     self.AddText(txt)
>        File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-
>     packages/wx-3.0-gtk2/wx/stc.py", line 2041, in AddText
>
>     return _stc.StyledTextCtrl_AddText(*args, **kwargs)
>     UnicodeDecodeError
>     :
>     'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 1: ordinal
>     not in range(128)
>     (Wed Jan  2 16:40:24 2019) Command finished (0 sec)
>
>     Is there anybody who know how I can solve this ? (with GRASS v7.5 on
>     debian9)
>

> Could you please send the precise version? It looks a bit dated.
>
> g.version -g
>
> ?

version=7.5.svn
date=2018
revision=r
build_date=2018-08-10
build_platform=x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
build_off_t_size=8

But I was in en language. If I set in system (or french), it works!

In fact, I'm using sometimes English GUI because the scale bar text in
psmap is not well coded and is displayed kilomÄ"tre, in english kilometer.

anyway, english GUI should handled special character isn't it ?

Best regards,

Frank