[GRASS-user] Import CORDEX data in GRASS

Johannes Radinger johannesradinger at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 05:56:48 PDT 2019

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody is also working with CORDEX data (Regionally
downscaled climate data - Europe) that are provided via the ESGF platforms
as netcdf files?

I want to import such files in GRASS but first want to create a location
with the projection of these data. AFAIK the data are in a rotated-pole
coordinate system (
https://is-enes-data.github.io/cordex_archive_specifications.pdf) which
should be supported by GDAL (https://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4285)
however I am unsure in which version of gdal (here I am using 2.2.2 (Ubuntu
16LTS, GRASS76)

I tried to use the location wizard to read the projection information from
the netcdf file. However, here only a XY location (unprojected) is
suggested. So how (and what) do I need to manually specify to define a
Location that is able to correctly display CORDEX data? Any suggestions?

cheers,
Johannes