[GRASS-user] Umm...OK, How do I start this thing?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Sat Dec 26 23:38:53 PST 2020

Hi Michael,

mdwxman via grass-user <grass-user at lists.osgeo.org> schrieb am So.,
27. Dez. 2020, 06:19:

> I must be either blind or brain-frozen by all the snow outside but even after reading through the introductions
> and downloading the North Carolina data I still don't see how to start GRASS GIS 7.8.5 on my Fedora 33.

The reason will be that the start script isn't yet in $PATH.

So, the question is: did you run this step

sudo make install
?

- if yes, then it should be in /usr/local/bin/ which needs to be in
$PATH (usually it is)
- if no, then you need to create a link:
ln -s /where/you/compiled/grass_src/bin.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/grass78
/some/directory/in/path/

Example (here in detail, also for others being interested):
So, in my $HOME I always create a "$HOME/bin/" directory into which I
then link the GRASS GIS startup script (and also other unrelated
stuff). Hence:

mkdir $HOME/bin/

Then add this line into $HOME/.bashrc (assuming that you use bash shell):
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

Next create the link (adapt path as needed):
ln -s $HOME/where/you/compiled/grass_src/bin.x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/grass78
$HOME/bin/

Now either start a new terminal or execute one time (needed as the
current terminal only reads $HOME/.bashrc at startup):
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

Now you should be able to start

grass78

> I have over 30 years experience with Unix or Linux and I still don't see a startup file.  What am I missing?

It is all about having the start scipt in $PATH.

HTH,
Markus