[GRASS-user] Can I turn off compression

Markus Metz markus.metz.giswork at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 12:35:28 PST 2020

On Mon, Mar 2, 2020 at 4:58 PM Ken Mankoff <mankoff at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not totally sure how to find the size of a GRASS raster from within
GRASS.

There is no tool in GRASS that reports the disk usage of a GRASS raster
map. r.compress only reports the change in disk usage.

> I could go to the OS to find it.

That's what I do too to find out disk usage of a GRASS raster map.

> A better report would include a scatter plot of time v. size, but I only
cared about time.

Only if you don't care about disk space and if IO speed does not matter.
Particularly when sharing or archiving data, other compression methods
reducing disk space are more suitable.

Markus M