[GRASS-user] Which colour palette is currently applied to a raster

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Wed May 27 08:06:49 PDT 2020

On 27/05/20 12:39, Paul Shapley wrote:

> Hi Users,
>
> How can I tell which colour palette set is currently applied to a raster
> in Grass 7.8.3? nothing is stated in metadata and checked in
> 'PERMANENT/colr' for colour palette 'name' but nothing.

Named color palettes are translated into numbers in color tables, some
absolute, others relative to the maps content (color tables defined by
percentages). AFAIK, there is currently no heuristic to translate the
existing color table back into a named palette.

It probably shouldn't be to difficult to get r.colors to write the name
of the used palette into the colr file, if a named palette was used
(name could the be 'custom').

If you are not looking for the name of the palette, but just the color
table itself, you can use r.colors.out.

Moritz