[GRASS-user] Building grass version grass-7.8.5

Stephen Kirby thinjogger at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 11:36:58 PDT 2021

Thanks for all of the great pointers.  Updating Python3 to version 3.9.2
made it possible for me to build GRASS finally.

A couple of small issues now have me slightly puzzled:

1) when I ran "grass79", the GUI popped up just fine the first time.
However, the GUI did not entirely fit the screen (I can't see the bottom of
the GUI, where the "start GRASS" button is).  I am running a Debian Linux
virtual machine (via virtualbox).
2) for some reason, I am now getting a new error whereby the GUI no longer
pops up: "wxnviz.py: No module named grass.lib.ogsf" followed by "No such
file or directory: /usr/local/grass79/gui/wxpython/xml/menudata.xml".  I
checked and I do have the /usr/local/grass79/gui/wxpython/xml directory
with lots of files but not that one.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

(Note; when the GUI did work the first time, I used the GRASS download
capability to obtain the North Carolina dataset,  Can't wait to visualize
the weather dataset contained therein.)

Best regards,
Steve