[GRASS-user] r.stream.order output = -1

Giuseppe Amatulli giuseppe.amatulli at gmail.com
Sun May 23 14:25:34 PDT 2021

Dear all,
I'm running
r.stream.order   stream_rast=stream direction=dir  elevation=elv
 accumulation=flow strahler=order_strahler   memory=15000 --o
on a quite large stream raster 25200 x 25200 pixels.

gdalinfo -mm
Computed Min/Max=11001.000,52594532.000

I'm giving 15G as memory availability so all the raster can be in the RAM.

The computation proceeds with errors, nonetheless the output presents some
streams that are labeled as -1 rather than having the stream order number.

If I crop the stream raster input to 2400 x  6000 pixels,
gdalinfo -mm
Computed Min/Max=7632381.000,52594532.000

then output stream order results are mapped correctly.

Seems to me that in case of the large raster r.stream.order hits some data
type limit that produces the output error.

I have tried to look into the r.stream.order code but I did not see where
the error can be.

Any suggestions?
Thanks
Giuseppe