[GRASS-user] Help needed with a coordinate projection problem

Thomas Adams tea3rd at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 10:50:16 PDT 2021

Hi all,

I have run into a problem with the development version of GRASS 7.8.6 and
with the latest versions of PROJ and GDAL. I had a significant issue a
couple of months ago and had to re-build GRASS, etc. and I have been trying
to get back where I was since that time.

A major part of the work I do is working with US NOAA/NWS raster radar
precipitation data in what's called xmrg format... a binary grid file that
relies on a very obtuse 'projection' called HRAP, described here (and
within linked files): https://www.weather.gov/owp/oh_hrl_distmodel_hrap --
it basically relies on a polar stereographic projection with a spherical
Earth model with these parameters:

-PROJ_INFO-------------------------------------------------
name       : Stereographic
proj       : stere
a          : 1337.784777
es         : 0.0
f          : 0.0
lat_0      : 90.0000000000
lat_ts     : 60.0000000000
lon_0      : -105.0000000000
k_0        : 1.0000000000
x_0        : 401.0
y_0        : 1601.0
-PROJ_UNITS------------------------------------------------
unit       : meters
units      : meters
meters     : 1.0000000000

Previously, I had been able to re-project raster and vector maps to/from
this location from other map locations with different projections. Now I
cannot do this; I now get this error:

v.proj location=world_location mapset=teaiii input=st_us

proj_create_operations: Source and target ellipsoid do not belong to the
same celestial body
proj_create_operations: Source and target ellipsoid do not belong to the
same celestial body
WARNING: proj_create() failed for '(null)'
ERROR: Unable to initialize coordinate transformation

Any ideas what I might try?

Thank you,
Tom