[GRASS-user] Change gisdbase in GRASS 8.x

Thomas Adams tea3rd at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 08:39:39 PDT 2022

Hi all,

I recently started using GRASS 8.1 on an Ubuntu 22.04 laptop. Although I
have a 2TB solid state  internal drive, I want to keep all my GRASS files
on an external NTFS drive. Somehow all of the files have root ownership,
including all my GRASS files copied on to it from my Mac. This is causing
all sorts of problems, including not being able to access any of the data
within GRASS due to permissions. After installing GRASS 8.1 on my Ubuntu
computer, my default GRASS database is

GISDBASE: /home/teaiii/grassdata

how can I either:

(1) point to the grass data on my external drive as the (working) default
GISDBASE or
(2) access the data from the default GISDBASE -- permissions don't seem to
allow this even though all files are universally rw

Best,
Tom