[GRASS-user] empty results from v.distance

Ken Mankoff mankoff at gmail.com
Fri May 20 21:27:54 PDT 2022

Hello GRASS list,

I'm running v.distance because I'd like to assign the nearest area ID to a points vector. Some of the points are outside any areas.

I'm using this command:

v.distance from=points to=areas upload=to_attr column=c to_column=ID output=connections

And I'd like to see a new column "C" in the points table that contains the ID from the nearest area in areas.

If I plot points, areas, and connections, it appears that every point is connected to an area. But if I `db.select points|head`, many rows in the ID column are empty. I would not expect any to be empty. Can someone explain what I might be doing wrong?

Thank you,

  -k.