[GRASS-user] How to avoid Grass84 compiling against the system Python3.6?

Edouard Choinière e.chs at outlook.com
Sun Mar 24 13:57:38 PDT 2024

Maybe that would be useful for https://github.com/OSGeo/grass/discussions/3501. We didn’t know where to go with this, but there seems to be a way with what you did

Edouard Choinière

Le 23 mars 2024 à 18:42, Barry Keeling <barryfoxbat1 at gmail.com> a écrit :

Anna, and Hernán (and @grass-users),

Many thanks for your helpful suggestions. In fact you both helped me in finding the solution to the issue I've had getting Grass compiled against a newer Python than the one in the OpenSuse 15.5 base system. Your replies gave me the confidence to pursue building the Grass application with Python v3.11, and to use a Python virtual environment in doing so.

I'm very happy to report, that today [Sat] I managed to build the latest development release Grass from source, and the python-related errors are now gone :

System Info :
    GRASS version: 8.4.0dev
    Code revision: exported
    Build date: 2024-03-23
    Build platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
    GDAL: 3.8.4
    PROJ: 9.3.1
    GEOS: 3.12.1
    SQLite: 3.44.0
    Python: 3.11.8
    wxPython: 4.2.1
    Platform: Linux-5.14.21-150500.55.52-default-x86_64-with-glibc2.31

The steps :

1. Build wxPython in a temporary Python v3.11 virtual environment (using this as a go by: https://wxpython.org/blog/2017-08-17-builds-for-linux-with-pip/index.html ).

     - Note: this was made more difficult because there is a wxPython bug relating to setup on OpenSuse (see this link for details :

       https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/issues/1067,

       and specifically this comment by Frank78 :  https://github.com/wxWidgets/Phoenix/issues/1067#issuecomment-685175041)

2. Create a wheel file, from the wxPython build using pip (still in the same venv).

3. Exit that venv, and then activate my usual Python v3.11 venv, navigate to the the directory containing the new wxPython wheel and install it with pip.

4. Then, still in my usual Python v3.11 venv, change directory to a clean instance of the Grass 8.4 development snapshot I'd downloaded previously.

5. In the bash console, set the following :  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local:/usr/local/lib64

6. Run the configure command with all the required options, then when that finishes successfully ...

7a. set this : export GRASS_RANDOM_SEED=1234

7b. initiate the build with this : make prefix=/usr/local PREFIX=/usr/local -j4

8. The build finished :

GRASS GIS 8.4.0dev exported compilation log
Started compilation: Sat 23 Mar 15:01:20 GMT 2024
--
Errors in:
No errors detected.

9. Finally, install to the desired directory location (in this case /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/grass84) with this : sudo make install

10. create a desktop launcher that activates the Python3.11 and runs the /usr/local/bin/grass executable, all in one go with this setting :

      Exec=/bin/bash -c 'source ~/.venv/py311env/bin/activate && /usr/local/bin/grass'

Hopefully the above workflow will be of help to others just beginning to attempt compiling Grass on their Linux system.

Once again, thanks Anna, and Hernán.

Regards,

Barry.