[GRASSweb-list]Centralisation of GIS through ESRI and ERDAS

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Mon Mar 31 04:05:39 EST 2003

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 01:03:36PM -0600, Daan Vreugdenhil wrote:

> Dear GRASS distributor,
> The big-name GIS developers have become a major centralising agent in
> the use of GIS applications, which is harmfull for the scientific and
> volunteer world of public participation, particularly in developing
> countries.  For further detail read my webpage:
> http://www.birdlist.org/nature_management/gis/gis.htm
>
> I recently heard about GRASS and was enthousiastic about the concepts of
> free GIS software.  This can be a very inportant aid for lots of
> developing countries where I work!

Right: You may also want to look at
http://www.freegis.org

> However, when I went to your page, I found myself completely lost! I
> have no clue on how to download the actual programme.  I can't even
> recognise what the actual programme is.

http://grass.itc.it/
-> Downloads
   Software
    -> GRASS 5.0.x Software [supported]
       -> Source code
       -> Binaries
            -> Linux version
            -> MS-Windows version
            -> MacOSX version

> Thoough I am not a advanced GIS expert, I do manage a number of
> applications necessary in my field, and I am certainly not a computer
> illiterate.  If a person like I cannot find and download, let alone
> install the programme, there either is something wrong in the
> presentation of the availability of the programme in your website design
> or in accessibility of your programme for a broader public.

Maybe, but please let us knwo where you exactly lost track. Only
then we are able to improve the web site.

> As the principle of GRASS is so fantastic, I would really like to see
> that it be developed to be sufficient userfriendly that:
> A: the file of the programme are easily downloadable
> B: the programme can be easily installed through a kind of windowsy
> process with an installation wizard.

At time there is an install script which install the GRASS software.
You just have to copy-paste this line and run it.

> I would appreciate knowing if there is a more userfriendly way of
> acquiring and installing the programme, so that I can test it and
> include a paragraph on it on my web page.

Again, please tell us which page/paragraph is not clear. Then we'll
improve it according to your suggestions.

Kind regards

--
Markus Neteler

ITC-irst, Istituto per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica
      Project on Predictive Models for the Environment
tel +39 0461 314 520 (fax -591)           http://mpa.itc.it