[GRASSweb-list]Q: Open ArcView files with GRASS?

Markus Neteler neteler at itc.it
Tue Nov 4 08:54:00 EST 2003

On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 10:49:22PM +0100, Kati wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Someone supplied me with ArcView files, but I have no intentions of
> buying the (costly) ArcView application for the purpose.
>
> I'm new this and so I'm not sure if GRASS can be used to
> open/manipulate ArcView files with, or at least I can't find anything
> about it by briefly looking at your website.

Hi Kati,
please watch out for "SHAPE" format. We try to avoid other
manufacturers' GIS names and prefer to refer to the format
(also since many GIS write many formats).

> Can you kindly tell me if it may be possible? before I attempt to
> compile GRASS. Or in case you know if there are other open source
> application(s) available which you would recommend for the purpose?

The commands you need:
 GRASS 5.0/5.3: v.in.shape
 GRASS 5.7:     v.in.ogr

> The ArcView files I have, has the suffixes: .avl, .shp, .prj, .shx,
> .sbn and .dbf. Many thanks for any tips you may have!

Note that you will need some minutes to warm up with GRASS.
Enjoy the "tutorials" section on our web site.

Regards,

--
Markus Neteler     <neteler at itc.it>       http://mpa.itc.it
ITC-irst, Istituto per la Ricerca Scientifica e Tecnologica