[GRASSweb-list]Problem with GRASS installation/execution

Gerald I. Evenden gerald.evenden at verizon.net
Mon Jan 2 20:39:45 EST 2006

I just went through a configure/make/make install of the GRASS package
on a
Linux system.  The only problem was a missing html file but it did not
seem to
keep the grass60 from executing.

Upon executing 'grass60' I get a TK screen "Data Selection" and I
proceed to
set the "Location" window to "demolocation" and select "PERMANENT" on
the
"(Accessible) Mapsets".  The "Enter GRASS" button highlights which I
click on.

There appears momentariy a new window and the TK window disappears and
the following appears on the console screen: "
Welcome to GRASS 6.0.1 (2005)
Welcome to GRASS 6.0.1 (2005)
GRASS homepage:                          http://grass.itc.it/
This version running thru:               Bash Shell (/bin/bash)
Help is available with the command:      g.manual -i
See the licence terms with:              g.version -c
If required, restart the graphical user interface with: d.m &
When ready to quit enter:                exit
GRASS 6.0.1 (demolocation):~/CARTO/grass-6.0.1 > Error in startup
script: ps.map: error while loading shared libraries: libgdal.so.1:
cannot open shared objectfile: No such file or directory
    while executing
"exec ps.map -p"
    (procedure "DmPrint::init" line 14)
    invoked from within
"DmPrint::init"
    (procedure "main" line 32)
    invoked from within
"main $argc $argv"
    (file "/usr/local/grass-6.0.1/etc/dm/d.m.tcl" line 894)
"
Note: I had installed GDAL prior to installing GRASS.  At that time I
had to
configure GDAL without GRASS being available.  There is a nasty
interlock
when both system's configure require the other system being present.

There seems to be an installation problem which I am clueless to
resolve.  Any
suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Jerry and the Low Riders: Daisy Mae and Joshua
"The most certain test by which we judge whether a country is
really free is the amount of security enjoyed by minorities"
---Lord Acton, 1907