[winGRASS] Re: winGRASS, cygwin, XFree86

John Huddleston jhudd at lamar.colostate.edu
Mon Aug 6 23:11:09 EDT 2001

Andreas, (Cc to Wingrass)

I checked out the Grass5 system to a new directory and did the configure.
The head file that is created still has some confusing include and link
arguments.   If you have old X11 and GL directories on your system,
the head file may access older files.

Also, a "feature" of the gcc compiler is to take user include directories
(e.g. -I/usr/local/include) before the gcc directories.  Thus if you have
older header files, it will grab those before the newer system ones.
One of the ways (besides cleaning up your system) to ensure that
you get the system headers is to use "-I/usr/include" before the other
include directories.

For your own sanity, run the "updatedb" command over night and then
use the "locate" command the next day to find libraries and includes
headers that are critical to the X11, GL, PostgreSQL, ODBC, PNG,
and other builds.  Remove the older ones, so that even if you do not
fix the head file (which I do for every build) you will be assured of
getting current files.

Concerning the startxwin.bat file, it needs to be edited for your system
configuration.  Copy it to a new file, and use that file to start the
XFree86 system.

I still have my own Gmakefile for nviz.  The CVS one does not build.

John Huddleston