[winGRASS] Re: path problem ?

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Tue Aug 14 18:07:43 EDT 2001

Hi Yves,

The first message you get in the window is no problem.
The startxwin.bat program checks if there are any /tmp/.X11-unix
directories or files around from previous invokation of the X Server.

To help you i need to know:
- which operating system (NT, WIn2000) do you use?
- which version of the GRASS for cygwin?
- which cygwin version, which XFree86 server and version?

and most important: What is the path to your cygwin installation/XFree
Server.

If you did not install in .\cygwin and .\cygwin\X11R6 you will have to
edit the paths in the startxwin.bat file.

What is the exact error message you get when starting the xterm?

There are be different versions around for the startxwin.bat file. One
from the GRASS CVS, which is for the Starnet XWin32, one from the ftp
server (?for using with X11R6?) and one from the cygwin/XFree
Distribution.

The startxwin.bat from cygwin/XFree only starts the X11 Server and an
xterm. From within this xterm you have to login into grass and start
tcltkgrass.

A better version of all this is under construction.

cu,

Andreas

yves hennequin wrote:

> I've probably a problem in the path of my startxwin.bat
>
> Unless XFREE86 starts , it seems to be a problem:
>
> When i run Startxwin.bqt, the XFREE window opens and two other windows opens
> to.
> In the first one, it says that it can't find the file
> C:\cygwin\tmp\.X11-unix\X0 and then that it can't find the path
> C:\cygwin\tmp\.X11-unix\X0
> Can anybody help me and tell me what kind of path i can put in my
> startxwin.bat ?
>
> Can this problem be at the core of my grass5 crash when i try to type GRASS5
> under my bash window under XFREE ?
>
> Thanks.
>
> PS : i've tried to read consenciously the page
> http://www.geog.uni-hannover.de/grass/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/cygwin_gr
> ass50bininstall.html but when i run "grass5" in the bash window, it first
> starts with the 3 advertisement and after that, it says :
> Error opening terminal: xterm
> Invalid resource file, removing /home/500.grassrc5
>
> Is there something else to type to run grass correctly ?
>
> Yves HENNEQUIN

url: http://mitglied.tripod.de/AndreasLange
mail: Andreas.Lange_at_Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange_at_GMX.net