[winGRASS] Installation failure on latest Cygwin version

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Fri Dec 14 12:42:01 EST 2001

Hi Jean,

Jean Baptiste HENRY wrote:

> Dear list,
> I am a new user of Cygwin and Grass. I have tryed to install it on my
> Win 2k PC, but I systematically get error. I have strictly followed
> instructions, given on the binary install page. Here is what I get in
> the command line :
>
> ***
> $ ./grass5install.sh grass5.0.0pre2_i686-pc-cygwin_bin.tar.gz
>
> GRASS GIS 5 binary package installation tool
>
> Checking and creating installation directory...
> file: not found
> ERROR: You need the GRASS binary package in .tar.gz compression
> or bz2.
> ***
>
> I do not understand the error message. Thank you in advance for any piece of advice.
> Sincerely yours.

I don't understand the error message too.
But could you open a cygwin terminal and check if the following programs
are found:
find
gunzip
tar

Perhaps your cygwin installation is broken. Which version do you use
(cygcheck)?

Is the binary package in the correct format? What does
file grass5.0.0*
say?

You should avoid to download with MS IE, as IE breaks the binary format.

HTH,

Andreas
url: http://mitglied.tripod.de/AndreasLange
mail: Andreas.Lange_at_Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange_at_GMX.net