[winGRASS] cygwin and winGRASS status update

raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp raghavan at media.osaka-cu.ac.jp
Tue Jul 17 21:54:38 EDT 2001

Dear winGRASS friends,

Some quick comments below.

Venkatesh

Andreas Lange wrote:

> Dear winGRASS friends,
>
> i generally agree that a meeting would be nice.
>
> But i have to dissapoint you that the generic GRASS windows driver would
> not solve all the problems installing and running GRASS on cygwin. I
> looked what it needs to create the driver and found that i do not know
> enough about Windows GUI and cygwin sockets programming to do that. And
> i fear that it may be a waste of time, because of the uncertain future
> of the GRASS X Driver and Windows beeing sort of a moving target.

Regarding the windows driver. How is the OpenEV initiative coming about.
OpenEV could "learn to display GRASS data" that may solve some of our
problems, I think. Any idea when OpenEV is about to become GRASS-friendly.

> I already put together some material to assemble and distribute a
> cygwin/winGRASS CD ROM, but did not work on this as the system does not
> work currently. I want to ask all of you to cooperate with me, as i
> invested already a lot of time in the setup documents and user support
> etc. I would be glad if i get a small repay for this work. Of course the
> bigger proportion of money would go to GRASS development.

How *small* would be the "repay" for the very hard work that Andreas
and others have put in.

> I don't think that a presale of the cd would be a good idea, as i am not
> sure if / when the complete cygwin port will be ready. And i think that
> we should spend money first on things that generally improve GRASS (map
> datum implementation etc.) than on things that only help windows
> GRASS users. But that would not stay true if a sponsor jumps in for the
> windows port.

Maybe first find a sponsor for cygwin/winGRASS CD-ROM and go in for a
full fledged windows port as Step-II. Step-II would require a bigger
sponsorship and hopefully that may not be impossible once the cygwin/winGRASS
CD-ROM is out. Maybe for Step-II we can have a serious discussion with the
OpenEV people too.

My vague thoughts perhaps but I need you suggestion and comments.

Thanks