[winGRASS] Problems with GUI under WIN NT 4.0

Andreas Lange Andreas.Lange at Rhein-Main.de
Mon Oct 1 11:54:46 EDT 2001

Hi Joachim, Hi winGRASS users,

i answered your detailed questions in german via PM.

Joachim Sommer wrote:

> Hy WinGRASS listers
>
> This is the first time I write to you. I am a beginner in using GRASS
> software. Following the instruction avaiable on Internet I still got
> some problems with starting tcltkgrass GUI under WIN NT 4.0 (SP 6a). I
> have installed cygwin, X11 libraries, XServer, precompiled
> Grass5.0.0pre2*.tar.gz and tcl/tk 8.x software.
> Everything seems to be good and I can start GRASS with the commandline
> in the X Window session. Futhermore I downloaded xtcltk-*.tar.gz and I
> changed the root directory of startxwin.bat (to d:/cygwin).
>
> Unfortunatly, I have no idea to overcome my troubles, because no further
> help on Internet is avaialble.
> Is there any further help of installing GRASS5 avaiable on Internet?
> Who got an idea to overcome my problems?
> Do I have to change more paths in startxwin.bat or other files?

The tcltkgrass GUI does not start automatically on the first startup
with the startxwin.bat file. You first get the commandline login screen
of GRASS, have to choose a database, location and mapset and then
manually start tcltkgrass with:
tcltkgrass &

Next time you start GRASS with the startxgrass.bat file the GUI will
start up automatically. This is the same with the Linux/Unix version of
GRASS.

HTH,

Andreas
url: http://mitglied.tripod.de/AndreasLange
mail: Andreas.Lange_at_Rhein-Main.de - A.C.Lange_at_GMX.net