[winGRASS] Re: generic Windows GRASS driver

Mike Thomas miketh at brisbane.paradigmgeo.com
Thu Sep 20 21:43:22 EDT 2001

Hi all.

> Yes, XOpenDisplay(NULL) fails in the ntXlib that Mike is trying to use.

Sure does - I patched it to use a dummy string in the event that the
argument is NULL - an empty string is a better solution.

> Mike:  I hope that you will send your enhancements to the ntxlib code to
the
> developer/maintainer when you have completed your work.  I had intended to
> do that (if and) when I finished the work.

Likewise, although I was going to suggest that we just incorporate our
patched libW11 code into the Grass repository until the display server woks
correctly and is finished.

I am feeling encouraged by the success you had and by Glynn's advice.

> By the way, sorry I didn't pass
> this along with the Win98 fixes.  It would have saved you a bunch of work,
> but since it was a work in progress, I removed it from the code I sent you
> before.

I wasn't interested until last week in using that approach.

I really want to try a GTK driver, but am keeping it on hold until I can try
the new Cygwin binutils ability to "link" directly against DLL's.  I had
gotten tangled up in using LoadLibrary() and friends to get around the
differences between the import libraries from the native Win32 GTK port and
GCC.  That approach was just going to make cross platform code less
maintainable so the new binutils may be a real boon.

I am dividing my time with a Win32 library binding for Moscow ML and proj
4.1.1 and hopefully later, gdal, because my other software interest is using
a functional programming language in a GIS application.  I've already done a
binding for substantial chunks of OpenGL and GLUT.   Time is thin on the
ground...

> It sounds like you're well on the way, but keep me in the loop in
> case there is something that I have already tackled that I can help you
> with.

Thanks.

Cheers

Mike Thomas.