[winGRASS] FW: wingrass

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Tue Jul 30 15:06:11 EDT 2002

Jan Bartholdy wrote:

> when I start wingrass, I get this message. What can I do?
>
> .grassrc5: unknown operand
> usage /usr/local/grass5/etc lock file pid
> unable to properly access /home/Jan Bartholdy .gislock5
> Please notify system personal

GRASS is currently unable to handle pathnames which contain spaces.

You will need to use a different home directory, e.g.

	HOME=/home/jan
	export HOME

In the longer term, GRASS needs to be fixed to handle this. But there
is so much code which assumes that pathnames don't contain spaces; far
too much to be able to fix all of it in time for the 5.0.0 release.