[winGRASS] problems with tcltkgrass

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Fri Aug 8 07:39:27 EDT 2003

grass at karsten-lessing.de wrote:

> My PC is running under Win2000 and I have some problems with tcltkgrass:
>
> Definitively I installed the whole package of cygwin which I´ve got
> from:
> http://xfree86.cygwin.com/
> so also xFree86 und X11R6.4 should be came with it !

Note: Cygwin's Tcl/Tk package doesn't work with GRASS. You need to use
the xtcltk package from the GRASS website (it should be on the same
page as the Cygwin binary packages).

> To start GRASS with tcltk I do the following:
>
> start Cygwin as described under:
> http://grass.baylor.edu/grass5/binary/windows_cygnus/cygwin_grass50bininstall.html
>
> In the appearing terminal I type in:
> "startxwin.bat"

I wouldn't recommend using that batch file; it isn't very reliable.

Just start the X server manually, using the XFree86 startx script.
Then start GRASS from an xterm.