[winGRASS] d.mon/fifo problems

Malcolm Blue mblue at nb.sympatico.ca
Wed Jan 8 03:54:01 EST 2003

Hello,

The newer versions of Grass use sockets by default, instead of the old
fifo method.  This has been shown to be more compatible with the newer
OS's used by Grass users.  To use this method you don't have to specify
anything extra on the configure or compile command lines. ( to use fifo
requires external routines/libraries, which are available but probably
not tested with recent version of Grass.)

If you used the default compile method, you should have d.mon working.
I still get the following message in my compile log file:

"mkfifo: cannot create fifo ``/grass/dist.i686-pc-cygwin/dev/fifo.tmp'':
Function not implemented"

But this is not relevant since sockets have been supported.  The d.mon
commands still work.

If you have trouble starting a monitor using d.mon using the default
compile, then I think we need to check further.  What happens when you
use 'd.mon start=x0' at the grass prompt?

Cheers,

Malcolm