[winGRASS] Problems with GRASS 5.0

Alberto Fritis F. afritis at puc.cl
Thu Jan 9 10:12:27 EST 2003

Thank you very much by the time that dedicates to my emails to him. Good I
am going to him to explain with detail which passes when beginning grass.
What I have made is the following thing.

1) Download and installing Cygwin/Xfree86 from the official page of cygwin.
The installation was made with all the packages.

2) File grass5_i686-PC-cygwin_install.sh and
grass5.0.0pre3_i686-PC-cygwin_bin.tar was download.

3) The file sunrpc-4.0.cygwin1.bin.tar. was donwload.

4)  The bash windows was opened.The following line was written: tar xzf
sunrpc-4.0.cygwin1.bin.tar.gz.

5) The file xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar was download. The following line was
written:
tar xzf /cygdrive/c/grass3/xtcltk-8.3.4-CYGWIN.tar.gz

C:grass3  is the folder where the file when unloading it from Internet was
kept

6)Finally the program settled. The following line was written:

cd /cygdrive/c/grass3
./grass5_i686-pc-cygwin_install.sh grass5.0.0pre3_i686-pc-cygwin_bin.tar.gz

and then the program is installed successful.

7) Data unloaded and installed:

tar xzf global_grass5data.tar.gz

8) The file was edited startgrass.bat. They removed /B, also changed: Seth
XLANG=en previously he was in XLANG=de.

Remember that the OS in my PC is Windows 2000.

9) Clik with mouse in startgrass.bat becomes. Then they appear 4 black
windows, soon 1 green window, disappear 3 of the green windows.

10) It appears in the green window a window edge, that can be moved with
mouse. Also it appears a rectangle with word "bash" in the left superior
corner of the green screen.

But grass does not begin. I would like to know that she is what she is
happening, that is to say, if I badly made something in the installation or
is a problem in startgrass.bat that must be edited again.

Also grass5 is tried to begin the program with the instruction. But the
following error appears:

/bin/sh: not found

This is even repeated if one is in/usr/local.

I hope that it can help me. Thank you very much.

Alberto Fritis