[winGRASS] Re: Installation problems

Richard Greenwood rich at greenwoodmap.com
Tue Aug 10 08:57:38 EDT 2004

van der Mark, C.J. <xs4all account via olvg> wrote:
>>>How are you starting GRASS? I would suggest starting the Cygwin Bash
>>>shell, and then type "grass5". This should get you started in text mode.
>>>If that works, quit Grass and start X-Windows, then start Grass.
>>>
>>>Regards,
>>>--
>>>Richard Greenwood
>>>www.greenwoodmap.com
>

>>I will try the order of doing things you suggested later tonight,
>>Thanks!
>

> OK Richard, tried it, no succes.
>
> I then deinstalled Grass and reinstalled it using the installation instructions for 5.0.3
> worked my way down, also installed the spearfish tut/example files
>
> Started GRASS in the bash-shell, filled out the name,location and so on, then grass started.
> Typed exit, leaving GRASS..no problem
>
> Then I fired up the Xwin batch file and started grass again
> got a little win-box with the files to choose from, took one, pressed OK and errors again, tried another (looking at the Spearfish tut manuals)...errors again.

What exactly are the error messages?

> I think I will deinstall everyting, from GRASS to Cygwin, destroy all the directories until no trace is left of it all. Then reboot and reinstall the whole thing.
> Any other suggestions?

Try this from the Bash shell:
    $ /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe  -multiwindow  -clipboard &
Nothing obvious will change, but you should see the Cygwin/X Server in
your system tray. Then:
    $ grass5
Hopefully you will be in text mode, and select a Grass dataset. Then:
    $ d.mon x1
This should get a graphics monitor going.

Regards,
--
Richard Greenwood
www.greenwoodmap.com