[winGRASS] croping screen displays

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Jan 21 06:14:28 EST 2004

Patrick Giraudoux wrote:

> Beginning in GRASS, I am quite frustrated not to be capable to transfer
> the screen displays (or an equivalent file) got with r.profile,
> d.barscale, etc... to an exportable format (which could be used for
> paper writing or conference -Word, Powerpoint, etc...)

Any program which draws on a monitor (i.e. the d.* programs) can be
used with the PNG driver to create a PNG image, e.g.

	d.mon start=PNG
	d.barscale ...
	d.mon stop=PNG

The resulting file is called map.png by default, but this can be
changed by setting the GRASS_PNGFILE environment variable.

The PNG driver in the binary packages will probably only produce
256-colour images. If you want 24-bpp images, you have to build it
yourself with version 2.x of the GD library.

Alternatively, you can copy the screen contents to the clipboard with
Alt-PrtSc and paste it into a paint program (e.g. PhotoShop, PaintShop
Pro; I don't know about the ones which are included with Windows).