[winGRASS] Re: problem starting grass

Gerrit P. Haase gp at familiehaase.de
Wed Oct 13 15:49:14 EDT 2004

Martin Perra wrote:

> I don't recall if when I installed vis5d I had to get cygwinb19 from
> somwhere to make it work, It was awhile ago.  I think I may have though,
> because it was requesting it, and I would have put it in c:\cygwin\bin.
> That may be what caused the problem, but like I said, I have since deleted
> all traces of it.

Lets try it the other way around.  Go to the path were your executables
are installed and run:

for i in `ls *.exe`; do cygcheck $i ; done 2>&1 | tee log.output

This runs cygcheck on all exes in the directory where it is issued and
captures the output in the file log.output.

You may run also manually `cygcheck executable.exe' on suspicious
executables or DLLs.

And do the same for all DLLs, then look through the output if there is
an exe or DLL linked against cygwinb19.dll, IIRC the mysql client exe
was linked against cygwinb19, don't know if it is still the same mess
with MySQL.  Another old exe is sendmail for Cygwin which is available
via FTP somewhere.

There must be a DLL which is in PATH before the one you have new
installed so this other DLL which is linked against b19 is picked
up at first.

>  Your group is currently \"mkgroup\".  This indicates that
>   the /etc/group (and possibly /etc/passwd) files should be rebuilt.
>   See the man pages for mkpasswd and mkgroup then, for example, run
>   mkpasswd -l [-d] > /etc/passwd
>   mkgroup  -l [-d] > /etc/group
>   Note that the -d switch is necessary for domain users.
>

> I'm not sure aht it means though.

That means that you should run these both commands:
mkpasswd -l > /etc/passwd
mkgroup  -l > /etc/group

on a standalone computer with local (-l) accounts, or

mkpasswd -d > /etc/passwd
mkgroup  -d > /etc/group

on a PC in a domain where you logon with a domain account.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=