[winGRASS] Problem starting Grass

Glynn Clements glynn.clements at virgin.net
Wed Oct 13 19:30:21 EDT 2004

Martin Perra wrote:

> I'm lost on this one.  I even tried installing it on my system at
> home(almost identical hardware), and it worked, so I copied the cygwin
> directory over to this system and tried running grass, and got the error!
> I'm wondering if windows is somehow affecting this, although I couldn't find
> any registry entries after searching for Cygwin that would indicate that . .

OK, having gone back and read your original message, my suggestions
aren't relevant to this particular problem.

Just to clarify, you are still getting the error message:

	"This application failed to start because cygwinb19.dll was
	not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem"

right?

In the xtcltk package which I created (xtcltk-8.3.4.tar.gz, 2,289,326
bytes, 2002-03-28, MD5 2983750b94c52b8a5ce1aa3e39e54e45), wish8.3.exe
is linked against cygwin1.dll, not cygwinb19.dll. So, it must be one
of the other libraries which wish8.3.exe uses which requires b19.
AFAICT, wish8.3.exe requires 3 DLLs:

	libX11.dll
	cygwin1.dll
	KERNEL32.dll

KERNEL32.dll certainly won't require cygwinb19.dll, so it must be
libX11.dll (from XFree86).

Check whether you have multiple copies of libX11.dll; if you do, the
search order is the current directory, then the directories in $PATH,
then the /windows/system directory.

If you only have one copy (the one in Cygwin's /usr/X11R6/bin
directory), your Cygwin XFree86 package would appear to be rather out
of date.

If you have multiple copies, you should remove all except the one in
/usr/X11R6/bin.