Fw: [winGRASS] winGRASS digest, Vol 1 #345 - 1 msg

Natalie O'Toole notoole at mtroyal.ca
Tue Aug 16 10:27:21 EDT 2005

Hi Bruce Thomas,

I have another question... I installed GRASS 6.1 for XP Windows, and I
still got the same error message. Here's what I'm thinking.... I have
GRASS 6 installed on 2 computers. I logon to each computer with the same
username for both (notoole). So what I'm doing is trying to run GRASS 6
while logged on to both computers at the same time OR also, I logoff one
computer but do not delete the gislock file from that directory. Could
having the same username for both computers be leading to the concurrent
use error being generated? If you think this is the case, what can we do
to solve this problem other than installing GRASS 5.7 version?

Thank-you for responding to my questions!!

Natalie__________________

Hi Bruce,

I tried deleting the gislock file- but that did not solve the problem.

Natalie

__________________

Hi Bruce,

I'll try this on my machine upstairs, and see if it works!

Thanks,

Natalie
----- Forwarded by Natalie O'Toole/Admin/MRC on 15/08/2005 04:10 PM -----

Bruce W Thomas <rheotaxis at earthlink.net>
15/08/2005 02:30 PM
Please respond to
Bruce W Thomas <rheotaxis at earthlink.net>

"Natalie O'Toole" <notoole at mtroyal.ca>
cc

Subject
Re: [winGRASS] winGRASS digest, Vol 1 #345 - 1 msg

I have seen this problem before too. There is a file called '.gislock'
that GRASS uses to limit the user to one session. If for some reason the
file is left over from the last session, either becuase it crashed last
time, or file permissions are different, GRASS will not run. You need to
have correct file permissions for the file
/usr/local/share/grassdata/spearfish60/user1/.gislock, just try to delete
first. You should be able to login as root on cygwin and delete. Try GRASS
again as yourself, and as root if you need to. It might be that you also
need permissions for your user name here too. You can fix that when you
are logged in as root too. Hope this helps.