[winGRASS] Compiling GRASS on MINGW

Javier A. Yebrin javier.yebrin at ing.unitn.it
Thu Jan 13 10:26:58 EST 2005

Hi all,

I'm trying to compile the gis libraries of GRASS on Msys/Mingw in order to
get working binaries for win32 (Cygwin independant).
The Grass source version is 6beta1.
Then we have (all form the mingw site):

MinGW 3.2.0 rc1

MSYS 1.0.1.0
MSYSDTK-1.0.1

bison 1.875.0-2003.02.10-1
gettext 0.11.5-2003-02-01-1
libiconv 1.8.0 -2003.02.01-1
flex 2.5.4a-1
pdcurses 3.6.0- 2003.07.21-1

Configuring like this:
$ ./configure --enable-w11 --without-x

Configure does well until it crashes when trying to find the XDR functions.
At a first attempt, after reading some threads, we decided to install the
ONC/RCP libraries. But the problem remains. This is the error as shown in
config.log:

int main() {
xdrmem_create()
; return 0; }
configure:5624: checking for xdrmem_create in -lrpclib
configure:5641: gcc -o conftest -g -O2  -D__W98__    conftest.c -lrpclib
1>&5
d:\workspace\MinGW\bin\..\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\..\..\..\..\mingw32\bin\ld.e
xe: cannot find -lrpclib
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure: failed program was:
#line 5630 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"
/* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
/* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
char xdrmem_create();

int main() {
xdrmem_create()
; return 0; }

Any help on this will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Javier