[winGRASS] Getting started with Wingrass ...

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 09:42:15 EDT 2005

On 7/27/05, Anna Forrest <hric at ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> Greetings all.  I have installed WinGrass from the ISO downloaded at
> http://jrshelby.com/grass/install-cd.htm.  I had no
> problems installing onto Win2k, and I even managed to launch the GRASS
> window once with the grass61.bat file, but usually when I run grass61.bat I
> don't see anything happen at all.  I do get the 'x' icon on my start bar,
> but no Grass window.  I've tried running the .bat file both from the command
> prompt and from windows explorer with no difference.  I'm very new to this –
> can anyone please help?
>

> Regards
>

> Anna Forrest

You probably have a Cygwin icon on your desktop. If so, double click
it, which will open a text mode Bash shell. In the Bash shell, type
'startx', which will open an X-Windows mode Bash shell. In the new
shell, type 'grass61'.

Maybe GRASS will start, but if it does not, you will at least see the
error messages, and thus get closer to the problem.

Regards,
--
Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com