[winGRASS] Installation problem

Richard Greenwood richard.greenwood at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 22:15:11 EST 2006

On 2/16/06, Graham Smith <graham.smith at myotis.co.uk> wrote:

> I have, today, downloaded winGrass from http://geni.ath.cx/grass.html and
> followed the instructions to install (WIN2000, all patches NTSF)
>
> However, when you reach the stage of running the batch file grass60.bat, all
> that happens is that two DOS-like windows briefly flash on the screen.
>
> I have found an FAQ on this, but I am using NTSF, the batch file is
> grass60.bat and as far as I can make out, it is Grass 6.0 that has been
> installed, certainly there is a grass6.0.0 directory under the Cygwin
> directory C:/cygwin/usr/local/grass6.0.0
>
> Can anyone point me towards a possible solution.
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Graham

Maybe you do not have all of the prerequisits installed. First open
the Cygwin bash shell, and type 'startx' (without the quotes). This
should open another shell (xterm). If you get an error then you do not
have X-Windows installed. Otherwise, in the xterm type 'grass6'.

These steps will not eliminate the problem, but they may help identify it.

Rich

--
Richard Greenwood
richard.greenwood at gmail.com