[winGRASS] Re: help with wingrass initialization

Jeinith García Vera jeinith at hotmail.com
Sat Nov 25 03:18:48 EST 2006

Hello!

Jeremy, Im no an expert int Grass, in fact I was with the same problems as
you a couple of days before. I only can tell you how I resolved them, but Im
have not idea if this is the better way.

"
1.	Every time I start grass I get the following warning:
"Invalid database. Finding first valid directory in parent tree"
         It would seem that grass always wants to start from my user
folder (ie: c:/docs and settings/user/). Should/can I change the default
to point to a grass database?
"

I had to create a new folder GRASSDATA in C:\msys\1.0\ and copy the
spearfish60 in that, so the Permanent and user1 folders are in
C:\msys\1.0\GRASSDATA\spearfish60.

If I tried to do this in c:\whatever\...\spearfish60, Grass tried to find
that folder in C:\whas\1.0\, or something similar, I dont kno why but does a
"mix" if I don't use the above address.

"
2.	After 'ok'ing my way outta the above mentioned warning, I
proceed to indicate to GRASS where I have put the spearfish set of
sample data. I have this data in the following dir:

C:/grassdata/spearfish/*
"

After doing the first step, run grass and in the Starup scrren, chose
C:/msys/1.0/GRASSDATA as GIS Data Directory, spearfisch60 as poject Location
and if you want a new mapset, write its name in "create new mapset in
selected loation", hit "create new mapset" and it has to work!!

Well, that is all what I can tell you, I hope it help you. Good luck!!!