[GRASS-windows] Re: problems compiling WinGRASS

Moritz Lennert mlennert at club.worldonline.be
Fri Dec 14 10:14:38 EST 2007

On 14/12/07 15:56, ines_cherif wrote:
> Do you mean that with the snapshot I do not need to compile. I got
> confused. I thought the snapshot was just an updated version of the
> source code

There are binary snapshots and source snapshots.

If you just want to try out grass on windows without going through the
hassle of compiling grass yourself, then follow the instructions in
"Installing binary snapshots"
(http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/WinGRASS_Current_Status#Installing_binary_snapshots).
You should get wingrass63RC3.zip so that this gets more testing.

If you want to compile grass yourself, then you need to follow the (I
admit not so clear, yet) instructions in "Compiling by yourself"
http://grass.gdf-hannover.de/wiki/WinGRASS_Current_Status#Compiling_by_yourself.

Unless you have some particular reason to want to compile (you want to
program yourself, or you need a feature which was just committed
yesterday and is, therefore, not in the binary snapshot), I would
recommend that you download the binary snapshot.

> so I downloaded grass-6.3.cvs_src_snapshot_2007_12_01
> and put it in C:\msys\1.0\home\user. Is that the correct location?

You can put your source code wherever you want. It doesn't make any
difference.

Moritz